Which among Meloxicam and Medrol would have less side effects while suffering with a soft tissue thumb injury?

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2019 in Lump
Question: Soft tissue thumb injury - not healing well. My PCP is sending me to an orthopedist & just prescribed Meloxicam OR Medrol - she knows I like to do some research so is giving me a choice. I am 64, have: very good blood pressure, SVT (since my late 20's - no meds needed to control), had a bout of iritis in the 90s (cause never determined) and have been taking antidepressants for years for dysthymia. I'd appreciate a recommendation on which would be most likely to have the least side effects and which side effect(s) is the most likely to occur.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Meloxicam is better for you.

Detailed Answer:

Meloxicam is a painkiller and is a safer option as compared to Medrol. Meloxicam has associated with mild gastritis and stomach upset which can be reduced by taking it after meals.

Medrol is a steroid-based anti-inflammatory and should be taken for a short duration only. Can increase the chances of infection in the wound.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
What about just taking ibuprofen? 600 mg or even 800 mg - I can tolerate that. Not thrilled with taking steroid based meds - took prednisone for shingles and gained weight fast!!

shoot - misread your response... Meloxicam is an NSAID. But my other question still stands... Ibuprofen instead or is Meloxicam more effective?

thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can have ibuprofen if it helps.

Detailed Answer:

Meloxicam is a stronger pain killer than ibuprofen. If you get a relief with ibuprofen then you can continue with it and avoid meloxicam.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon