Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Where should I go for by-pass surgery? What is the cost involved?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
I wanted to check if I can get information around costs for doing a by-pass surgery in Mumbai. Which are the good hospitals and recommended doctors? What will be the costs involved.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. Surgery is done by cardiothoracic surgeon. The coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) is the simplest of surgeries which a cardiac surgeon performs. If the patients coronary angiogram is suitable the surgeon prefers to go for less invasive or beating heart surgery that is by a smaller incision on left side of chest instead of big middle of chest incision.
Best surgeon, one has to XXXXXXX more than one to find someone who answers your questions frankly and happily; he will be there post operative phase also.
The basic cost of surgery in private set up is around 150,000 rupees. Upscale hospitals like Breach candy and Jaslok Hospital, charge a package of around 2.5 lac and mid scale hospitals like KEM Hospital and Bombay Hospital charge a shade less for the whole package (If Inta Aortic Balloon Pump -IABP) is needed some 50,000 is added to the cost. All these hospitals have good cardiac surgeons.

With Best Wishes. If there is a question I will be happy to answer, however for cost you will have to confirm from the hospital itself. Good luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Where should I go for by-pass surgery? What is the cost involved? 7 hours later
1. Can you recommend a surgeon we can see?
2. When is IABP required? and what does it entail?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 14 minutes later
It is professionally unfair to choose among those who best in profession and equally competent in job. Personally if I ever need CABG done on me I will want Dr T S Mahant, he is with Fortis Hospital Chandigarh(Mohali) for I know him personally and professionally for the last thirty years. You can talk to him about a surgeon in Mumbai (call between 6-9 PM only please, number is 0000).

If heart is not contracting well (ejection fraction on echocardiography is below 45%) then, cardiac surgeon want external support in pumping of blood that is with IABP, a balloon put in the main artery which inflates and deflates automatically helping the heart to pump the blood more effectively. I hope I have answered your questions. If there is more you want to know please write back. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor