When will normal bowel movement resume after treatment of diverticulitis?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I just recently got out of the hospital with severe diverticulitis. I was put on antibotics how long does it take to get on a normal bowel movement schedule. I will be done with the meds tomorrow and been out five days. Still following a low fiber diet
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on how much soluble fiber you take.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There is no fixed time duration in which you could get a normal bowel movement schedule. There are two kinds of dietary fibers viz. soluble and insoluble. You need to take low amounts of insoluble fibers and high amounts of soluble fibers. Soluble fiber is found in oat XXXXXXX barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, and some fruits and vegetables. It is also found in psyllium, a common fiber supplement. Unless you take more of this type of fiber, your bowel habits will not regularize. Insoluble fiber is found in foods such as wheat XXXXXXX vegetables, and whole grains, and should be avoided in your case.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad