When should my baby start babbling?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
hi doctor, when will babies start calling mama/dada? My 9 month old baby doesnot refer me by any specific name. He only make random sounds, though he shows his hand to be picked up when I come & is now standing with support & crawls well. Is there anything to worry since he doesnot associate me with any name?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing again.
Usually babies at this age recognize mother, father will take some more time.
So don't worry..
Regarding word output, few cooing babbling sounds is what you can expect. To speak clear syllables like mama dada will take a few more months.
There is nothing abnormal in your childs development.
Few suggestions
1. Keep talking to your baby as much time as you can. Babies look at your lip and tongue movements to learn to speak.
2. Avoid TV., XXXXXXX laptop etc. These are known to delay speech and learning.
Dr Arun