Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

When should be HIV test done after a sexual encounter?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6171 Questions
hello doctor a recently had a risky sexual encounter with a prostitute and was thinking of getting a hiv pcr test, it has been 20 days since my exposure. is this sufficient time to get an accurate result? i have read that the time frame is from 2-3 weeks but i don't understand why it's not an exact number, why is it in between 2-3?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: YES, it is sufficient time already Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this risky sexual intercourse you had. It is sufficient time already to get accurate results from an HIV pcr test. Medicine rarely deals with rigid numbers. If you have ever done blood tests before, for example, you would notice that we always reports results as the normal range/intervals. This is because we are all individuals and the way this virus behaves in each individual is slightly different. However, within 2-3weeks taking into account the individual differences, the results would be a true reflection of what transpired. At 20days already, there is no reason to get worried. If it were 14days, I could have advised that you wait a week longer but at 21days, there is just no worry about that. Please, always consider protecting yourself against HIV and other STDs. It is a good practice that you would not regret. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish you well. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor