Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

When should BP be considered seriously high? Is it okay if it is high for a long period?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
My nephew has a BP of 165/118 and doctor says he is not concerned, he is now very worried about it, has been like this for a long time, range 145/106 and 175/120 should he get a second opinion
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Blood pressure of the value 175/120 is no normal.

I suggest him to consult another GP, get his BP checked by him on three different occasions when in rest.If the reading appear consistently high then he may have to consult a cardiologist to be put on anti hypertensives after ascertaining the well being of the heart.As in some heart problems can lead to such BP readings also most of times BP of that values can affect the heart in-turn.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor