Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

When is the fertility duration of a 27years old lady who has hyperthyroidism?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
hi..i would like to know the fertility of a 27years old lady who has hyperthyroidism..
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Generally fertility levels are normal in women with mild hyperthyroidism. However, severe hyperthryoidism ( including thyrotoxicosis) negatively affects your fertility. Poor fertility can be due to several other reasons for which a complete evaluation is needed. If you can give me some more details, I'd be in a better position to help you.
In any case, hyperthyroidism needs to be treated since it has adverse effects on a large number of organs. The treatment would involve anti-thyroid drugs like propylthiouracil and methimazole. In some cases, radioactive iodine is also given. A beta blocker like propanolol is also required for symptom control. Please speak with your physician about this since this is a prescription drug.
As far as the diet and activity levels are concerned, you can continue on your normal diet. Some expectorants, radiographic contrast dyes, seaweed tablets, and health food supplements should be avoided as they may have some iodine.
Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: When is the fertility duration of a 27years old lady who has hyperthyroidism? 10 minutes later
tqvm doc..that really helps a lot.but i would like to know whether by taking the medicine such as carbimazole,will affect the fertility levels??
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Carbimazole as such has no effect on fertility. However, if a lady wishes to become pregnant, we prefer using the drug propylthiouracil as the other drugs cross over to the child and can cause severe side effects in a very small percentage of cases.
The fertility issues need to be evaluated with a detailed history, an ultrasound of the pelvis and a semen analysis ( for the male partner) to start with. Depending on these results, we can take that ahead.
I hope that addresses your concerns. I'll be happy to answer any more questions that you may have. If not, please close this discussion and rate the answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor