• question-icon

When is paracentesis advisable for a cancer patient?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hospice seeks to minimize interventions, except for managing comfort. When is it appropriate for a patient to ask for paracentesis? My wife has metastatic breast cancer to the liver and has ascites driven weight gain of 107lb ( baseline) 132 - 138 - 148 over a three week period. Is the point to wait until extreme discomfort and provided somebody can project a lifespan of more then two weeks, then ask for the procedure? Even though it may only relieve the symptoms for two weeks?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
paracentesis may be acceptable

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is true that interventions are minimized in hospice. But paracentesis is often used to relieve the patient of distress.

If it appears that patient is going to die in 1-2 days then probably not worth. But even it is a week or so, it can give meaningful comfort.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist