When does hemoglobin become normal afer stopping Lupron?

Posted on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been on lupron for a little over a year and have bad anemia. If I quit the lupron how longl will it be until my iron and hemoglobin will get back towards normal again?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Brief Answer: no need to stop lupron. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Lupron may cause anemia by reducing testosterone effect on the bone marrow but not by reducing iron. Your serum and body iron stores are low, which is causing the anemia. This can be readily corrected by iron administration, either orally or intravenously. You shouldn't stop lupron if it was indicated based on original stage and risk factors. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow up queries, if any.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 25 hours later
My hemoglobin and iron have been steadily going down since I started the Lupron. I am now also on Zytiga. Do I still need the Lupron?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Testosterone level should be suppressed while on zytiga, either by lupron or bilateral testes removal by surgery. Hence it has to be continued. First we need to supplement the iron and then see the result, before considering any change in therapy.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist