When do teething and language skills develop in an infant?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Doc,

This is regarding my baby girl again (I gave her details in my earlier question)
I have some more questions on her.
She has now completed 9 months but she is not able speak simple words like mama, dada etc. Is it normal?
Also I am concerned that she has not grown any teeth yet.
Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its too early for bisyllables/ need vitamin D level

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ..

1. It's too early at 9 months to speak bisyllables like what you have quoted. Bisyllables will come only at 12 months.

2. Sometimes teeth can start erupting as late as 16 months also. But I suggest you get back to me with serum Vitamin D levels of the kid.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 10 hours later
Hi Doctor,

For Vitamin D, she is taking Calshine P 0.5ml once a day.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I HAVE A FEW QUESTOINS FOR YOU

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX -

Taking Calshine doesn't preclude a vitamin D deficiency. Please answer my questions -

1. When did you or your spouse start speaking ( You need to get this information from your respective parents) ?

2. When did you or your spouse start getting teeth ( You need to get this information again from your respective parents) ?

3. Calshine Comes in different combinations - can you see the wrapper on the calshine and get back to me with t he composition of the preparation?

Even if your baby is on vitamin and calcium supplements I suggest you get a serum Vitamin D levels done and upload me the report please.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad