When do newborns learn to sit on their own without any help?

Hi doc, my baby completes 7 months tomorrow.he rolls over from tummy to back & reverse perfectly but hasn't started to sit without support. He can sit when I keep him on my lap, leaning on me.When will baby learn to sit on own?
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The child should be able to sit by eight months of corrected age

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first ask whether the baby was born preterm. The developmental age is calculated starting from the expected date of delivery (not the actual date of delivery). The child should be able to sit without support by eight months of this corrected age. If the child is not able to do so, he needs developmental evaluation and developmental therapy (a form of physical stimulation therapy what stimulates development of the milestones).

Since the child is still not 7 months, I guess there is nothing to worry.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: When do newborns learn to sit on their own without any help? 7 hours later
Hi doc he was born 3 weeks early than the EDD.Just on the day he completed 37 weeks. Will this count as preterm?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Although the child would be considered to have been born at term the 3 week age adjustment would be applicable while calculating the developmental age of the child. Since thechild is still not supposed to be able to sit without support, you have no cause for concern.