When can an anomaly scan be taken?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor ,

Could you please tell me when is the best time to take the Anomaly scan? I am in my 20th week now. Can i take it within the 21st week ie next week or do i have to go this week itself ?

Best Regards,
Axxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
18-20 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
The ideal time for an anomaly scan by protocol is between 18weeks to 20 weeks. Reason being, If any anomaly is detected then termination if required, can be considered safely for the mother and also as per XXXXXXX law.
So , you must get it done this week itself.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 26 minutes later

Thank you for your quick response. On 26th Dec i had done early anamoly scan....And all seemed okay that day....so is there a reason to be concerned?

Axxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answered

Detailed Answer:
if the previous scan by 1y th week was apparently normal but yet the timing is not correct and most soft tissue anomalies can be missed. So it should be repeated though chances of it to be normal is high.