When can alcohol be consumed after taking Streptoquin?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took 1,200mg of antinal (nifuroxazide) yesterday and 400mg at 8.00am and also at 2.00pm today. At the same time I took two Streptoquin tablets, how long should I wait until I have alcohol?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
24 hour gap at least

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The liver is the seat of metabolism of a number of drugs. Alcohol is also metabolized in the liver and can affect the CYP enzymes that are involved in processing the medications that you have described namely nifuroxazide and Streptoquin. The ideal case would be to avoid alcohol till you are using these medicine especially if there is documented liver disease or elevated LFTs. In any case I would advise you to keep an interval of at least 24 hours before you have a drink.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil