When can a fetal pole be seen on an ultrasound scan?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 5w5d pregnant. My doctor saw a sac but no fetal pole. I was given the shot for rh negative women. Is 5w5d too early to see anything aside from a sac?

Also, i am 21 andrh negative and was given the shot they guve women to reduce the risk of a rejected pregnancy i cannot remember the name.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Usually the fetal pole can be seen at 5-6 weeks in transvaginal ultrasound and at 6.5 weeks in transabdominal ultrasound.
You don't need to worry.In your case it might be too early to detect the fetal pole in abdominal ultrasound.You may need to do a transvaginal ultrasound after one week.
If you have had an irregular menstrual cycle ,it is possible that the pregnancy dating can be wrong.
Try not to worry and wait the next ultrasound.

Hope it helps.
Please feel free to ask for every question you might have.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati