When can a PPD test be taken after stopping Prednisone intake?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a insect bite and I am on medication with Prednisone (20mg) and Levocetrizine(5mg). I am taking Prednisone on a 9 day course every morning (3 tabs for the first 3 days, 2 tabs for the next 3 days and 1 tab for the next 3 days) and Levocetrizine 1 daily in the evening for 30 days. My 9 day Prednisone intake will be over by Wednesday (7/23). Can I go for a PPD Test on thursday (7/24)? If no, Can you please advise me when I can go? I had to take this PPD Test ASAP. Appreciate your expert suggestion and help on this. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
a couple of days pause would be wise

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
The only apprehension between you and that ppd test was prednisone.it is an immunodulator and compromise the Tb test. Once you are done with it you can go for the best.maximum elimination half life is 3 to 6 hours for prednisone and maximum biologic effect stays for upto 36 hours. So I would say pause for a couple of days after prednisone finishing and then go for it.
Rest assured you will be fine.i hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 24 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. Do I need to stop the antihistamine (Levocetrizine) also? I am taking it daily in the evening
Brief Answer:
You can but better stop

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
That would be better too but ppd test does not get compromised by them as induration is not affected by histamines. You can keep using it if you want.the best way to use it is one day off after 2 days use.thst is take 2 days and then 3rd day a holiday and repeatedly.but i suppose a week use of antihistamines for bite is enough. Stopping it won't be trouble.
I hope it helps. Take care XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Thank you Sir
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
:)

Detailed Answer:
you are welcome dear
please close the discussion if queries are finished.
take care