When I'm sitting I'm fine, but as soon as I

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: When I'm sitting I'm fine, but as soon as I stand up and move a little my pulse raises so much that I can't hardly breath until I sit down for awhile I' m fine.
What is wrong with me?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) is a condition that may cause symptoms such as yours.

An increase in the pulse ratio is a compensatory mechanism as the body tries to increase the blood pressure.

Causes may be anemia, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, mitral valve prolapse, etc.

Getting evaluated by your Doctor is necessary to understand better your condition.

He can ask for further tests in order to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your response. I am also dealing with shortness of breath with any kind of exertion like walking, etc. - would this be part of POTS? I have chronic lower back pain. Can't stand more than 5 minutes which brings on my shortness of breath even worse. My doctor prescribed naproxen it doesn't work well with me for pain. I have been dealing with both problems for at least 8 years. Don't know which is worse not be able to breath or not being able to stand very long. It getting worse as the years go by. :-(
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low back pain seems not related to POTS.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Shortness of breath is one of the symptoms of POTS, besides increased heart rate after standing up.

Low back pain, on the other hand, is not a typical symptom of POTS, it may be a separate condition mainly related to spondylosis.

I think that you should get evaluated by a Cardiologist for your POTS symptoms and by a Neurologist for your low back pain.

Physical therapy is a good treatment possibility for back pain.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng