What's the difference between a lacunar infarction and ischemic small

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sun, 17 Mar 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: What's the difference between a lacunar infarction and ischemic small vessel changes in the brain.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
In lacunar infarction the damage is complete.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again here at the " Ask a Doctor " service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

A lacunar infarction refers to an ischemic stroke in a small territory that resulted from a complete occlusion of the corresponding blood vessel.

In such case, brain neurons are damaged completely.

Ischemic small vessels changes in the brain refer to partial brain cells damage (mainly one part of the brain cells or axons) due to insufficient blood supply.

The blood supply in such case is impaired by the partial occlusion of these small blood vessels.

Lacunar inflate caused mainly by small thromboembolic events, ischemic small vessels changes are caused mainly by unstable blood pressure.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Would any of the medical conditions I listed contribute to this cause like epilepsy or Hydrocephalus ? I don't have any issues with my blood pressure. I also like to add that the lacunar infarctions are old and the ischemia is new.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Epilepsy ( seizures ) are possible with these conditions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Both, lacunar infarction and ischemic changes may cause seizures in a number of people suffering from them.

Hydrocephalus is not related to both these conditions in most of the cases, in the other hand, hydrocephalus may cause seizures too.

Besides high blood pressure, risk factors for ischemic small vessels disease include high cholesterol, tobacco use, diabetes, chronic inflammation ( such as in the cases of autoimmune diseases ), etc.

So, since the ischemia is new, these other conditions besides high blood pressure should be considered.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to discuss with me if you have further questions.