Whatc auses pain under rib cage?

Excellent

Question
I have a medium pain inside the right side of my ribs and it feels like if I had a stock intestinal gas inside or like if somebody hit me, but I have barped a lot lately and I still feel it. what could it be? I have 3 days already with this annoying pain. I didnt worry at first but now i am scared.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs to get investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Hi, If I were your treating Doctor for this case of pain under the right rib cage, I would come up with three possibilities, these include:
1. Gallbladder stones, Which do presents as pain under right rib cage, which can be confirmed with ultrasound of abdomen.

2. Muscle pull , which do presents in similar way, can be due to sleeping in wrong position or sudden bending, Muscular pain aggravates with movement. following measures helps you to reduce your pain
1. Hot water fomentation , either with a wet cloth or bottle filled with warm water.
2. Diclofenac ointment local application three times daily.
3.Avoid sleeping on right side.

3. The last possibility is of any kidney stones which may present as such sharp pain radiating to the back. For this purpose you need to get an ultrasound abdomen and kidneys done.

I suggest you to consult a physician and get an ultrasound upper right abdomen, and a chest x-ray done to rule out stones.

Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Follow-up: Whatc auses pain under rib cage? 1 hour later
I don't have any pain in the back so far. May that indicate is not a gallbladder stone or kidney stone?

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not always

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for follow up query.

Usually pain on right side of upper abdomen is related to kidney or gallbladder problem, in which pain may or may not felt at back.
With your history of no back pain renal stones can't be ruled out.

Follow-up: Whatc auses pain under rib cage? 23 hours later
Good news it was mussel pain after all.

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for follow up.

Good that your ultrasound report is showing normal impression. Your pain most probably from muscular pain. Muscle relaxant medication with limited movement( avoid bending side ways) helps to reduce your pain.

Hope i answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.