• question-icon

What would ketones in a urine test indicate?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my daughter who is five years old has a positive result for ketone in her urine but negative for glucose. What does that mean? thank you

Thank you for your response, but my child has a good appetite and has a very good mediterranean diet. Do I need to do further testing or leave it there ? I did quite a few urine tests and every time the cetones are present in the urine, but not the glucose, does that mean that we can exclude something serious such as diabete ? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A state of starvation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Ketones are produced by the body when the body is in the state of starvation. Children often do not eat well and in case of prolonged gaps between meals a state of starvation results and ketones are produced and can be detectable in urine. Needless to say, during such states of starvation glucose is not in excess and is therefore not going to be detected in urine.

You need to make sure that the child eats well at regular intervals.

Let me know if I could help further.

Brief Answer:
Gap between meals needs to be reduced

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I am certain that the presence of ketones is not due to diabetes and rather due to the reverse (starvation). As such, no further testing is needed. But please bear in mind that even a couple of hours without food can act as a state of glucose deprivation or starvation leading to generation of ketones. This does not mean that your child has less appetite. It means that the gap between meals needs to be reduced.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician