What would happen if expired amoxicillin was taken?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What would happen if you accidently took out of date amoxicillin?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the problem if you accidently take a single dose of an expired amoxicillin nothing much will happen . But nothing can be said in particular because different people react differently to drugs both in terms of effects and side effects . Amoxicillin generally lose its potency if taken after the expiration date so will not act . Problem arises if you are allergic to the drug or penicillin then it can cause a reaction . I will just advise you to wait and watch . In case you have any issues like rash , difficult breathing , loose motions , vomiting etc consult a doctor immediately . Take care. Dr. Shruti