What would cause neck and shoulder pain?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: there is a right neck and shoulder pain which my wife is suffering from for the last 2 weeks. the pain occurs in the evenings between 8 to 10 PM and when she gets these pains, she is unable to move her neck
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It might be due to Cervical strain/Spondylosis. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on the description, I suspect that the cause of pain in the neck and shoulder could be possibly due to Cervical strain/ Cervical spondylosis. An Xray of the C-spine will show up the bony alignment of the vertebral bodies, any disc space narrowing, presence of any osteophytes, loss of cervical lordosis etc, which will help in diagnosis of the condition. A detailed clinical examination is also mandatory to define the exact cause of the symptoms. Please follow the below mentioned measures as a trial management and watch for any symptom relief - * Soft Collars -These collars limit neck motion and allow the muscles of the neck to rest. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles. * Ice, heat, other modalities - Use of ice, heat, massage, and other local therapies can help relieve symptoms. Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin. * Exercise and lifestyle changes - - doing low-impact aerobic exercises such as swimming or walking - using one firm pillow at night to reduce strain on your neck - correcting your posture when standing and sitting * Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) - are thought to be the most effective painkillers for symptoms related to neck pain. Some commonly used NSAIDs include - Diclofenac, Ibuprofen and Naproxen. If you experience spasms, when your neck muscles suddenly tighten uncontrollably, a short course of a muscle relaxant may be needed. * Physical therapy - Strengthening and stretching weakened or strained muscles is usually the first treatment that is advised. Physical therapy programs vary, but they generally last from 6 to 8 weeks. Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. If you don't find any improvement with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards