What would cause a lump on the rectum?
May Need CT pelvis, biopsy and sigmoidoscopy
Based on the history you have shared, it can be due to a variety of causes ranging from benign polyps, outgrowths, bulges in the rectal walls to malignant bumps; it should be evaluated with a detailed rectal examination by a surgeon and if needed, a proctoscopy may be performed.
Sometimes, hemorrhoids may present initially like a bulge but can be ruled out upon examination. However, a detailed work up is almost always indicated. A CT pelvis and biopsy may also be needed.
In the presence of warning signs like rectal bleeding or weight loss, such work-up should be prompted as soon as possible.
Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?