What would be a possible diagnosis for pain in the lower left abdomen?
Correction: Lower left side
under rib cage
As detailed below.
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history about your 26 year old grandson and understood your concerns.
The pain on the left lower abdomen is usually not due to muscle spasm unless there is a direct hit or some sort of accident.
The commonest cause of pain on the lower left side of abdomen in a young man with an athletic background to the scale of 10 and been building for seven days can be as follows:
Ureteric stone that may be missed on X-ray and this may need an ultrasonography of abdomen on preparation.
Colitis can cause similar pain.
Some testicular problem like orchitis or torsion can be referred to the lower abdomen but then the pain would be present in the scrotum too.
Rare causes like diverticulitis, intestinal inflammation and so on.
I would advise him the following in such a situation:
Consult another Doctor or get a reference for a General Surgeon for proper clinical evaluation, examination and ask for relevant investigations like ultrasonography of abdomen and scrotum, tests of urine, stool and blood.
Further investigations as would be needed.
Please give any history related to bladder/urinary and bowel habits?
Any other associated symptoms?
I hope this answers your query and helps your Grandson further to get an appropriate diagnosis at the earliest as he is suffering for seven days.
Dr. T Chandrakant, General Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the diagnosis for constant pain in the feet
- Diagnosis of Swollen lower abdomen
- Lower abdominal pain possibility of ovarian dermoid correct diagnosis
- Diagnosis of chronic pain abdomen
- What is the diagnosis of left axis deviation and cerebral hemorrhaging
- Right hypochondrial pain diagnosis
- What possible diagnosis would be given in ectopic pregnancy
- Diagnosis of lower abdomen nausea
- Diagnosis of lower abdomen headaches
- What is the diagnosis for joint swelling and pain
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in foot from hip to toe
- Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones
- What causes pain and bleeding post rectocele repair surgery?
- Suggest treatment for gastritis
- What causes chest pain and abdominal pain?
- What does this ultrasonongraphy report indicate?
- What causes whitish color of outside of urethra?
- What causes skin growth on buttocks oozing pus?
- What does this EKG report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for darkened glans penis