Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What type of doctor should I consult for pelvic pain and back pain?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
I have been having alot of pain in the outer and inner Right side hip and pelvic area since XXXXXXX I have been cleared so fay for arthritis, and Have had 3 catscans of that area, Nothing has shown up. I also have recently started getting back pains on and off since the summer, But Now more than before. Can the Back pains be related to the pelvic area pan that I am haveing or possibly be causing the pain ? Its cold stabbing like pain that I have, The hip area feels like a sharp pain that stays for most of the day, I have taken advil and other pain killers, But they dont really work. Sometimes a low dose 10 mg of prdnisone helps for a short time, Any idead what type of a doctor should I follow up with, A orthopedic or a gastro one ? Thanks Ps I did have a klebsilller P back in the summer when the pain originnaly started
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult a Rheumatologist for your joint pains Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, may I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- # How long AFTER Klebsiella infection, did the joint pain start? # At the onset of pain, did you have - painful urination and a discharge from the penis - Diarrhea - Mouth ulcers - Inflammation of the eye # Do you have any patches of scaly skin on the palms, soles, trunk, or scalp? Nevertheless, the details provided by you are suggestive of the following conditions :- * Ankylosing Spondylosis- which begins with pain in the pelvic region and low back. * Reactive Arthritis - which usually follows an infection (including bacterial infection) and the joints involvement occur 1-4 weeks after the infection. Other symptoms, apart from low back and pelvic pain, are urinary infection or discharge from penis, mouth ulcers and inflammation of an eye. * Compression over the lower spine and nerves. Consult a good Rheumatologist as the above-mentioned conditions fall into his domain. Discuss your case with him and also apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. In any case, I will be eagerly waiting for the additional information. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What type of doctor should I consult for pelvic pain and back pain? 24 minutes later
The pain in the pelvic area started at the height of the klebsiella P infection I had penile discharge for months, Because they were unable to diagnose the klebsiella due to medications that were surpressing the cultures that were sent out. The klebsiella is treated via a picc line and has since been cleared up. I am left with that lower hip / pelvic pain and now the back pains are even worse, You dont reccomend a Rheumatologist, Would a orthopedist help at all? My gp has ordered MRI's done I am just awaiting The results on them cervicel, thoracuc, and Lumbar has been done over the last few days, Sorry for the mispellings
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult a Rheumatologist and not orthopedician Detailed Answer: Hi there, The new information points towards Reactive Arthritis and, to a lesser extent, Ankylosing Spondylosis. The penile discharge was probably due to certain sexually-transmitted organisms, such as Chlamydia trachomatis or Ureaplasma. Usually, these organisms do not grow in culture. Hence the delay in diagnosis. The sequence of events fit into Reactive Arthritis, though Ankylosing Spondylosis is equally possible. Both conditions fall under the domain of a Rheumatologist. Hence, you should CONSULT A RHEUMATOLOGIST and NOT AN ORTHOPEDICIAN. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What type of doctor should I consult for pelvic pain and back pain? 3 minutes later
Thanks I will do so
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: You are always welcome to seek further clarifications. Wish you all the best, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor