Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

What treatment should be taken for ADHD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
Any thoughts on a more exact diagnostic and possibly a prognosis & treatment recommendation? We're waiting to see a medical professional in a few weeks here in North XXXXXXX Is it possible that he has ADHD? Would ADHD medication make a difference in his case? Thank you...a very concerned parent.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 51 minutes later
I can very well understand your concern.

Thanks for your detailed nicely written summary!

I would like to ask you few more questions in the beginning.

Was he normal at birth?
Did he undergo any investigations like MRI or metabolic work up?
What do you mean by problems in balance? Can he walk, run, play, climb stairs, etc?
Assuming that his physical appearance and gross motor system are OK

It is possible that he has some form of ADHD.

ADHD has a wide spectrum of symptoms and to diagnose he has to fill up some criteria which persist usually for more than 6 months.

It may be a group of inattention activities or a group of hyperactivity or a combination of both.

Please arrange to see a pediatric psychologist who will assess him with the criteria and arrive at diagnosis.

Medicines can be discussed only after the diagnosis.

For ADHD there are some medicines.

However, more than anything whatever the diagnosis, he needs speech therapy and occupational therapy and one to one teaching for his academics to improve.

I wish him all the best.
God bless
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor