Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

What treatment should be done to get relief from toothache?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 787 Questions
My neighbor has been suffering for a couple of weeks now with a toothache. She has no job, no income, no insurance and her boyfriend was recently involved in a single car accident where he shattered his leg and won't be able to work for several months. She is in bad need of a lot of dental work and we were just trying to find a dentist that would volunteer to help her. Do you do any free dental work or could you recommend someone in the St. XXXXXXX SC or surrounding area?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 29 minutes later
Hello there,

Treatment for tooth ache is not expensive and wont cost your friend more .

Tooth ache is caused due to dental infection with involvement of tooth nerve tissue and it can be treated successfully by root canal procedure or simply a restorative filling if indicated.

If you are looking for free dental treatment you can approach a dental school or college in your area, where students practice dental work and can help you out rendering free treatment.

You can also look for free dental camps conducted in civil hospitals.

I hope this helps.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What treatment should be done to get relief from toothache? 1 hour later
She has already tried getting help at MUSC and they quoted her $154 before they could even set up a file on her or take X-Rays. She spent her last dollar on gas to get down to MUSC. She then went to the local Emergency Room and they gave her a prescription for a few pain pills which are now gone. The soonest appointment she could get to have a tooth pulled is April 8th. She doesn't think she can wait that long being in as much pain as she is in. She has two broken teeth that need to be removed, a cavity in between her two front teeth, a back tooth that needs to be removed, and she needs a bridge where she has already had teeth removed. Her teeth are in terrible shape because she doesn't have any income, no job and no insurance. She has been searching for a job for several months but can't find anyone that will hire her because of her past history. She is now a changed person and a Christian, but her past still haunts her. Her mother was a crack addict and is now dying and her father was killed when she was a child, so she has no family to help her. She is also not eligible for any government assistance because of her past criminal history of spending two years in prison for writing bad checks for food and essentials. Is there anyone anywhere that can help her with her dental problems? She lives about 40-50 miles from SC. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 33 minutes later
Hello ,

As you have mentioned, there is lot of treatment to be done for your friend.

Free extractions can be done at dental schools on request but bridge work and treatment for anterior teeth like aesthetic fillings are not done for free, as the material used in the treatment itself costs a lot for a dentist. Bridge work or other prosthetic fabrication needs dental lab support as well.

I am really sorry to hear about your friends personal history, but online I would not be able to suggest you any dentist for free treatment and it is difficult to find.

You need to approach a local dentists in your area personally and talk about your friend's problem.

Hope it helps.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor