Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

124 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What treatment should be done for zygomatic fractures?

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir Kumar


Practicing since :1994

Answered : 5687 Questions

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: what to do after overlooked zygomatic fractures (very little flattened one side of face and lost about 15% of sensations in infraorbital nerve area) 3 years after trauma :( is there any chance to correct that and in some cases to recover full sensations after that long time ?
i was examined only by neuro-surgeon. scan of brain showed that everything has been ok.... i don't know why CT of face bones has not been done

please answer as much and good as u can i really need help
that makes me very anxious
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort due to loss of sensations over the face in the infra-orbital nerve area. By the way, your English is quite good!

Unfortunately, it is mostly not possible for any recovery of the damaged nerve functions beyond two years.

CT scan of facial bones may show the deformity, however, it does not add any information about the infra-orbital nerve. Moreover, it does not help to have a detailed scanning of the area now.

If any scan was done in the initial period, and a nerve compression due to fracture was found, and if any surgery could have been done, then this loss of sensation might have been prevented.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
unfortunately this is I supposed so :(

within 1 year i was examined by 3 doctors

1. physician 48h after traume
2. neurosurgeon 2 weeks after trauma
3. neurologist after one year due to sensation problems

i forgot about oral and maxillofacial surgeon (or something) but i didnt have the knowledge i have now. This is right doctor i should have met

however i cant undersant , why they didnt put me on CT scan of highly possibly fractured area by then and send me to right doctor
even very small compression after long time can makes permament damage of that nerve ?

so now i'm angry at myself because of that
the problem was so small
and now is so big the world of super scans - this is nonsence
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

I share and agree with your thoughts and anger....

Regarding the nerve compression, generally severe compression of the nerve is necessary to cause permanent damage.

If there is mild compression, then, the nerve does not get damaged, and recovery occurs. This condition is called neuropraxia. We all have noticed this phenomena- such as if we sit on the same place for a long time, our thighs and legs may get numb, but once we get up, the numbness goes away.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Deformity

doctor1 MD

Hi, I'm 14, and my spine sticks out even if I'm not bending over, I'm 120 pounds, 5'4 1/2, not super skinny or anything, could something cause this? My brother said it reminded him of a dinousaur, and bending over is kind of painful, could something be wrong or is this normal?

doctor1 MD

My wife, age 83, has developed a situation where her dominant hand (left) the index and ring fingers have curled into the palm and those knuckles are swollen . This is very painful with the pain radiating up the arm to the elbow. she has no...

doctor1 MD

i just wrote to Dr. XXXXXXX Rynne but he never answered me back. I am not allowed to take any over the counter anti inflammatory pills. I have a very painful ankly and just had an MRI done where it was diagnosed as a flatfoot deformity with a...

doctor1 MD

CT Scan of Paranasal sinuses says " Large polypoid soft tissue is seen in the left maxillary sinus along its floor. Mild mucosal thickening is seen in both ethmoid air cells and minimal in the frontal sinuses. The sphenoid sinuses are clear....

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a tingling sensation on the right upper side of my stomach. It's only when I am putting any type of pressure on it, like sitting up, or bending down. The last couple of weeks, i've felt the same feeling on the top of my back. ANy suggestions?

doctor1 MD

I feel lightheaded in the morning, usually after standing from sitting or bending over. I've had this off and on in my adulthood (age 42) but the other morning I was bending over to pet my cat and when I stood up I passed out and blacked out for a few minutes. It was very scary. I'm pretty sure it is low blood pressure, but what can I do about it?

doctor1 MD

My baby was due to be born on St. Patrick's day of 2010. During my 5th month of pregnancy, I was told that my baby had a deformed heart. I have no family history of heart deformation. I drank red bull daily, due to fatigue. Could Red Bull be the cause of my baby's death?