Owl Image

What treatment should be done for zygomatic fractures?

Owl Image
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Question
what to do after overlooked zygomatic fractures (very little flattened one side of face and lost about 15% of sensations in infraorbital nerve area) 3 years after trauma :( is there any chance to correct that and in some cases to recover full sensations after that long time ?
i was examined only by neuro-surgeon. scan of brain showed that everything has been ok.... i don't know why CT of face bones has not been done

please answer as much and good as u can i really need help
that makes me very anxious
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort due to loss of sensations over the face in the infra-orbital nerve area. By the way, your English is quite good!

Unfortunately, it is mostly not possible for any recovery of the damaged nerve functions beyond two years.

CT scan of facial bones may show the deformity, however, it does not add any information about the infra-orbital nerve. Moreover, it does not help to have a detailed scanning of the area now.

If any scan was done in the initial period, and a nerve compression due to fracture was found, and if any surgery could have been done, then this loss of sensation might have been prevented.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
YYYY@YYYY

Follow-up: What treatment should be done for zygomatic fractures? 5 hours later
unfortunately this is I supposed so :(

within 1 year i was examined by 3 doctors

1. physician 48h after traume
2. neurosurgeon 2 weeks after trauma
3. neurologist after one year due to sensation problems

i forgot about oral and maxillofacial surgeon (or something) but i didnt have the knowledge i have now. This is right doctor i should have met

however i cant undersant , why they didnt put me on CT scan of highly possibly fractured area by then and send me to right doctor
even very small compression after long time can makes permament damage of that nerve ?

so now i'm angry at myself because of that
the problem was so small
and now is so big
now...in the world of super scans - this is nonsence

Thank you for getting back with more details.

I share and agree with your thoughts and anger....

Regarding the nerve compression, generally severe compression of the nerve is necessary to cause permanent damage.

If there is mild compression, then, the nerve does not get damaged, and recovery occurs. This condition is called neuropraxia. We all have noticed this phenomena- such as if we sit on the same place for a long time, our thighs and legs may get numb, but once we get up, the numbness goes away.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)