What treatment should be done for sinus headache?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am suffering sinus head ache for the last 3 years. What i can i do for this?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 39 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

At present, if you are having an attack of sinusitis, then you will require:
1. A broad spectrum antibiotic such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or ambroxol
2. A mucolytic (such as Bromhexine or Ambroxyl)
3. Saline nasal drops/spray 3-4 times a day, followed by steam inhalation, to help in clearing of the mucus from the sinus cavities and opening up of the blocked sinuses.
4. Drink plenty of warm water.
5. Pain relievers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac

If the symptoms do not subside with the above medications, please consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination. Also, you will require a nasal endoscopy followed by CT scan of the paranasal sinuses to look for any anatomical deformities and blockage of the sinuses. If there is any blockage of the sinuses or anatomical deformity, surgical intervention is required in the form of endoscopic sinus surgery.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon