What treatment should be done for 15 mm stone in ureter and 13 mm stone in kidney?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: Pl tell me what should be the preferred treatment option ( urs,eswl or pcnl ) for a 15 mm stone in lt ureter & 13 mm stone in lt kidney . no other renal pathology
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

You shall need URS or PCNL for the stone in the ureter. It the stone is in lower ureter then the preferred treatment shall be URS and if it is upper ureter then it shall be URS or PCNL depending on the anatomy of the ureter. ESWL as an option does not exist for the stone in ureter. The treatment modality for kidney stone shall be decided by location of the stone and degree of hydronephrosis (swelling) on the kidney.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 16 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your reply . Stone is in the lower pole of the kidney with no hydronephrosis.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

You shall need probably PCNL for the kidney stone. However, for a definitive opinion you can send me your IVP films.

Sincerely

Rajiv goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli