Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What treatment should I take for white pimples on head?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
I have some kind of acne on the scalp of my head - red, sometimes white pimples, very similar to acne. From what I've found online so far I believe it's folliculitis but I'm not sure... what treatment should I take to make it go away?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis: pus culture and antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

From your description, it looks like you have developed folliculitis of the scalp.

It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the same and upload them here on this page. You can also email them on YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul.

Now folliculitis of the scalp is a common skin problem . It presents with red , painful pustular swellings at the base of the hair follicle.
It is recurrent in cases of people who use excess hair oil , in diabetics , in patients with an itchy scalp and in patients with immunosuppressive conditions.

First of all, I would advise you to avoid using hair oils and hair massage.
You will need to take a course of oral antibiotics.
Cephalosporins and penicillins are usually recommended in cases of recurrent folliculitis.
Sometimes even long term continuous treatment is required.
To be more specific, a pus culture from the affected region can be done and then according to the growth of the organism and its sensitivity to various antibiotics, oral therapy is given.
In very mild cases, only topical antibiotic creams can also help.

You should use a betadine containing shampoo on regular basis, atleast twice weekly.
This acts as an antiseptic. After application of the same, leave it over the scalp for 5 to 7 minutes before washing it off.

Hope it helps

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor