Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

What treatment do you suggest for ridges on thumb nail?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4813 Questions
I have ridegs on my thumb nail they run east and west
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi, It would be of great help if you could send a picture of your thumb nail with such ridges. Usually, ridges are a common phenomena by age (this is for vertical ridges). As yours are of east-west position (horizontal I assume which we doctors refer them as "Beau's lines", your picture would help to better determine it), they could be indicative for: - malnutrition - infections - heart problems - diabetes (perhaps you are a diabetic without knowing it) Your diagnosis is based on physical examination and some blood work to find out the right problem and get treated accordingly. Hope this answered your inquiry! If you have other concerns, please do not hesitate to write back to me! I'd be thankful if you could send the photos of your thumb nail. Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor