What treatment do you suggest for an enlarged jugular vein on neck?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been diagnosed with an enlarged jugular vein on the left side of my neck. The ENT doctor said there would be no further action. Should I see a cardiologist? The ENT described it as a large mass 3.5 cm x 1 cm. I do not know how long I have had it. I did have a heart work up at Mayo Clinic in 2005 and all was normal. My blood pressure is usually 110/60.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, should consult cardiologist&pneumologist,test Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, I would strongly suggest to see a cardiologist as the current jugular vein enlargement you are facing could be to possible obstruction of this vein and/or heart. I suggest to consult a pneumologist too to check for pulmonary problems. Although you had a heart work up in 2005 (almost 8 years back), I'd strongly suggest to get examined by a cardiologist for this time and perform: - ECG, - echocardiogramme - Ct-scan or MRI of head, neck and chest These tests could help identify the underlying causes of your enlarged jugular vein and to get proper treatment in time. Hope I answered to your inquiries! Dr. Benard p.s. if you have further concerns, do not hesitate to contact me!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 23 hours later
Thank you so much. I was confused that the ENT would say "no further action is required". I, of course, looked on the internet but couldn't find anything where an enlarged jugular vein would be something not to follow up on. I see my family doctor Nov 21 and she is very smart and pro-active so I hope she supports your opinion. I know enough not to share internet opinions with a doctor, but I am hopeful she will figure it out. I have been suffering from shortness of breath and fatigue for a long time. I also have complained of difficulty swallowing. It feels like someone has their hands around my throat. They put me on asthma medication but I no longer take it because it had no effect on on my shortness of breath. I have been told by many doctors that I suffer from anxiety and that is their solution to my medical problems. Several doctors have tried to treat the anxiety with medication which I refused to take because I really felt that something physically is wrong. I train horses and I now can only ride one horse a day and I am breathing hard when I ride and when I take the dogs for a walk I am panting with them just at a walk. I use to be a very athletic and active person so I keep on insisting and trying to get a doctor to help me. Thank you for your support. It will empower me when I see my family doctor. XXXX I have one more follow-up question. When you said to see a pneumologist, what do you think would be a pneumological cause of an enlarged jugular vein? Thank you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Pneumological causes of enlarged jugular vein. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Glad to hear I'm helping you to get the right diagnosis. With regards to the pneumological causes of an enlarged jugular vein, they are related to masses of any type that could compress the natural way of veins coming from lungs to heart. They include turbercular or other infectious masses, fibrosis or sarcoidosis to lymphoma or other types of masses that should be carefully evaluated by your pneumologist. Do not take note of all the diseases, just ask your doctor to check for any possible masses and to get proper treatment. Wish you health! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T