Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
178 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What treatment can I take for an unhealed abscess in my groin area ?

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13719 Questions

Posted on Sat, 5 May 2012 in Infections
Question: I have an abcess in my groin area. After it burst in September 2011, it has not healed and 8 mnoths later it continues to drain a clear fluid (somtimes small amount of blood) every day or two. I don't have pain anymore, but the drainage is a nuisance, and I am concerned about the potential for infection.

Late last year I consulted with my family doctor and a surgeon. They both said
the affected area does not contain any lymph nodes. My family doctoy cautioned me that surgery may not completly remove the abcess, while the surgeon was not overly concerned.

I have not followed up yet with my family doctor or the surgeon, and am seeking a second or I suppose a third opinion. What do you suggest? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

An abscess draining 'clear fluid' continuously suggests chronic infection. Sometimes presence of foreign body can cause continuous clear fluid. It may not necessarily be related to lymph nodes alone.
X XXXXXXX of the affected site will rule out foreign body if any.

A few more tests are entailed here. They include blood tests to rule out a tubercular infection; smear study on the fluid discharge - both microscopic and culture to rule out a chronic infection.

In the absence of either infection or foreign body, a third condition - 'development of a sinus' needs to be considered.

Treatment can be either conservative with use of antibiotic and antiinflammatory drugs, surgical or both which can be suggested after evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Tubercular infection

doctor1 MD

My Cousin has a problem related to lungs diagnosed via X-Xay and could came to know that part of the lung got spoiled and Doctor suggested for...

doctor1 MD

There is a fluid in right lung, what does it means and how danger is it fir health?

doctor1 MD

My father is 72 years old. Diabetic, high blood pressure , has 2 stints. One is in his heart and another in his kidney. They have been in place for...

doctor1 MD

Prevously two threatend abortions (24.07.2012 & 22.05.2013)
LMP 11.10.2013 Age:31

EB done on 11.09.2013
Mycobactirium Tuberculosis complex...

doctor1 MD

My, wife had a swollen lymph node just below her right shoulder. Doctor asked us to get the FNAC done, folllowing is the report of FNAC