What treatment can I take for an unhealed abscess in my groin area ?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 5 May 2012 in Infections
Question: I have an abcess in my groin area. After it burst in September 2011, it has not healed and 8 mnoths later it continues to drain a clear fluid (somtimes small amount of blood) every day or two. I don't have pain anymore, but the drainage is a nuisance, and I am concerned about the potential for infection.

Late last year I consulted with my family doctor and a surgeon. They both said
the affected area does not contain any lymph nodes. My family doctoy cautioned me that surgery may not completly remove the abcess, while the surgeon was not overly concerned.

I have not followed up yet with my family doctor or the surgeon, and am seeking a second or I suppose a third opinion. What do you suggest? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later
Hello.

An abscess draining 'clear fluid' continuously suggests chronic infection. Sometimes presence of foreign body can cause continuous clear fluid. It may not necessarily be related to lymph nodes alone.
X XXXXXXX of the affected site will rule out foreign body if any.

A few more tests are entailed here. They include blood tests to rule out a tubercular infection; smear study on the fluid discharge - both microscopic and culture to rule out a chronic infection.

In the absence of either infection or foreign body, a third condition - 'development of a sinus' needs to be considered.

Treatment can be either conservative with use of antibiotic and antiinflammatory drugs, surgical or both which can be suggested after evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.