What to do if have high bilirubin levels?

Dr. Manjeth Kumar G

Posted on Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: "Bilirubin 2.5, direct . 8. CBC normal , liver tests normal , ultra sound normal . Excellent health. Does this sound like Gilbert's ?"I have read that only indirect bilirubin is high in Gilbert's , where mine is high in indirect at 1.7,but also high with direct at .8 Optional Information: Person's Gender: Male Person's Age: 34
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Check Fasting and Phenobarbitol test. Detailed Answer: Hello, welcome to XXXXXXX I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Thus your Direct Bilirubin is 0.8 and Indirect Bilirubin is 1.7 mg/dl. The normal levels of Direct bilirubin is 0.1-0.4. and Total bilirubin is 0.3-1.2 mg/dl. Thus all the three values are increased here. In Gilbert's syndrome,there is profund increase in indirect bilirubin, but direct bilirubin level is with in normal limit. As your Complete blood counts, Liver function tests and Ultrasound abdomen are normal, this unconjucated hyperbilirubinemia may be due to Gilbert's Syndrome. But to confirm this further special investigations are needed. 1. Fasting test 2. Nicotinic acid test 3. Phenobarbital test 4. Radiolabeled chromium test 5. Thin-layer chromatography 6. Drug clearance test 7. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay In Fasting test, level of total bilirubin is further increased if the blood sample is taken after fasting for two days, and a fast can therefore be useful diagnostically. In Phenobarbitol test, give a low dose of phenobarbital, the bilirubin will decrease substantially. At least please check the above said investigations and confirm Gilbert's disease. However, it is not harmful and no treatment is needed for this. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D