What to do after an incomplete medical abortion?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Women's Health
Question: We took tablet for abortion with help of doctor and took scanning after two week, got report like appearibg gestitional sac - retained product, in this situation could we have to go d&c or try one more time with pills.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
D&C is a better option.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and reports and understand your concerns.
As you are having retained products of conception along with gestational sac,you should go for D&C.
You can take mesoprostol ( after consulting your treating doctor) for initial try but d&c is a better option.
Hope you found it useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Madam, thanks for the response.
Last menstrual period is 27th sep, so now running 8 weeks.while going through articles misoprostol tablets is helps before 12 weeks. Is it correct?

Why I am asking is 9 months baby is there take care.
What is difference b/w vacuum aspiration and d&c?
vacuum aspiration is less pain and risk than d&c? How many days required to recover from that procedure.

Could pls me the above.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can recover with in 24 hrs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply.
Mesoprostol is used to evacuate the uterus before 12 weeks.
You should go for D&C( dilatation and curettage) or vaccume aspiration.
Both procedures are almost same but in vaccume aspiration we use vaccume suction.
It is only half an hour procedure done under anaesthesia.
Recovery depends upon which anaesthesia used general or local.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Thanks for immediate response madam.
Is there any effect with this vacuum aspiration if I had ceisarean delivery 9 months earlier?
How many days blood flow will be there?
Can I handle my baby after this procedure or need to take any rest?

Thanks again for prompt.
Brief Answer:
Yes you can handle your baby.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
After c-section with expert hand you can go for d&c avoid vaccum aspiration.
Yes,you can handle the baby 4-5 hrs.after the procedure ( depend upon effects of anaesthesia).
Bleeding sometimes stop immediately or spotting may occur for 2-3 days.
Cost is variable( depends upon clinic to clinic and city ).
Hope found useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana