Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

What to do about mite bites? How do I manage horrible itching?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12733 Questions
I have mite bites. what do i do? what kind of doctor can i see to help me determine what kind of mite bite it is, so that i can get rid of them? and also manage the horrible itching?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The mite bites are most commonly responsible for an allergic reaction causing pain and itching in the area.
Consulting a dermatologist will help in determining the nature of bite and its proper management. To manage the itching you can follow these simple measures-
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
You can take oral anti allergics like fexofenadine to hasten the recovery.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What to do about mite bites? How do I manage horrible itching? 14 minutes later
Thank you! What do I ask an exterminator to do? I can't stand this, and need to treat the problem as well as my skin.
Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can ask the exterminator to treat the house for all mites.
Do take a good care of your skin till then.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor