What the symptoms of flu?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Healthy Living
Question: For the last three weeks I have been experiencing body aches throughout my entire body. The last few days has been in my legs, neck and head. I have a shooting pain coming from the back of my neck into the back of my head. Additionally, I have had diarrhea several times per day for over one week. I have trouble regulating my body temperature- sometimes very cold; shivering, other times I start sweating. I've had a fever on and off for two weeks. I'm lethargic and want to sleep almost all the time. I have very little appetite. I am generally in very good health- I'm an avid runner (20-30 miles weekly). I'm 6'1" and 185-190lbs.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Signs of viral infection (flu)....

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

1. Experiencing body aches throughout your entire body might be related to viral infection.

2. Additionally, diarrhea and feeling cold/shivering alternating with sweating are also signs of flu (viral infection).

3. It is also normal to have little appetite when having flu.

4. You are also reporting to have just finished a course of antibiotics for 10 days. That makes me think that you had any bacterial infection too.

The symptoms of flu will usually last for a few days to a few weeks (up to 4 weeks). I advise to:
- keep well hydrated (water preferably with OTC ORS)
- take multivitamin supplementation containing calcium, vit. D, magnesium, vit.B complex, etc to regain energy
- take OTC pain killers containing ibuprofen or acetaminophen to get pain free. Can apply local analgesic cream on neck area.
- have light meals (yogourt, chicken soups, etc.)

If the symptoms will continue for the next week, hormonal tests are advised to run including thyroid function test.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana