What tests should be done for HIV detection?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello,
I'm a male who lives in the US. I had a protected intercourse with a CSW. I did notice any break and the condom remained on for the whole intercourse. My anxiety drove me to get tested for STDs. Here are the tests I took - all relative to possible exposure:
- Week 2 : PCR + 8 STD Panel Tests
- Week 4 : 4th Generation HIV Test
- Week 6 : 4th Generation HIV Test

Also took a few In-Home Oral Fluid tests at 12, 14 and 15 weeks.
All the above mentioned tests came back negative. Can I consider my tests results conclusive?
Also do you accept paypal?
Thx
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.Allay the fears of HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. This is Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Once you had protected intercourse it is almost safe.But the most important is All the tests PCR and 4 th generation tests Have given negative results. So you need not bother about HIV anymore from that incident.
And repeatedly tests have shown negative results.
Allay all the fears about HIV .
Please contact regarding pay pal public relations department personal.
You can get back to me for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 7 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your quick answer. That is very reassuring.
One last question : I did not mention it but the PCR was a DNA PCR not the RNA. If I understood well one is qualitative while the other is quantitative.

It does not change your analysis does it?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No. both are similar.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
The results of DNA or RNA pcr does not vary much in sensitivity and specificity.They both are very effective in detecting viral cDNA or RNA respectively.it would not affect your result analysis .
Also your other tests are negative.
So it is super reinforcing negative results.
So do not bother allay all fears.
Have a safe and happy life.
Wish you good health.
You can get back to me for any clarification else close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh