What tests detect HIV and AIDS ?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi my age is 20 height is 5.8 ....actually i want to ask regarding hiv and hepatitics b and c doctor ....i want to ask doctor around 5 months back i gotta permanent tattoo.... and i m very afraid that i got hiv or hepatitics ....so wat should i do and....there is another problem is that a month back my friend gotta opnen cut on his hand ....and from his hand he serve me the food...in that case i can get hiv or hepatitic???? plzzz doctor please as soon as possible coz this is making me paranoid...
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
what test should i go for?
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
and please tel me about the window period..? when should i go for the test?
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 minute later
how many years a person live with hiv and hepatitics?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 minutes later

First I suggest that you calm down.You seem to be stressing yourself without reason.

I am sure that you know HIV is primarily transmitted through unprotected intercourse with an infected sexual partner. It also spreads through infected bodily fluids, infected blood transmission, and infected needles. Cases of transmission through infected tattoo needle are rather rare. If you got the tattoo done at a professional place and instruments were clean, infection is most unlikely. However, you should get tested to remove your anxiety as that is the only way to know for sure if you are infected. Since 5 months have passed you are out of the window period which is usually from 3 weeks to 3 months. So if infection is present the test will tell for sure. The test is available at most hospitals and government HIV testing centers.

HIV does not spread through casual contact such as preparing food, sharing towels and bedding, or via swimming pools, telephones, or toilet seats etc. The chances of getting HIV infection from the food touched by your friend is nil.

Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C are primarily spread through contact with infected blood or instruments. There is a risk of contracting these infections during a tattoo if the instrument is infected. But there is no chance that you got it from the food served by your friend.

You should get tested for Hep B and Hep C. Both these infections can be detected by a blood test available at most hospitals and labs. Even if we assume that the tattoo instrument was infected, and you test positive for Hep B or C, you can be given medicines to control disease progression. The main benefit of testing is that if you test negative, you can get Hep B vaccine to prevent the infection in future. Hep B vaccine is highly recommended these days to prevent infection.

I would say do not worry about life expectancy with these diseases right now. For information sake, I would like to say that it depends on the severity of disease and type of treatment. These diseases are serious and cannot be fully cured. But with good treatment, many patients with HIV or Hep B or Hep C live for many years.

The best way to get past this is to take the blood tests for these. So see your doctor and get tested.

I hope I have answered your queries. I am available for your follow up queries.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 hours later
doctor please tel me the name of the test for hepatitic b and c??
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
and doctor one more question please tel me if there was a blood on the food and i eat it still there is a chance of getting hiv or hepatitics b and c????

and doctor a test at 3 months is enough ????? should i require any futhur test in future????
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

The tests for Hep B and C are both blood tests. Its an antigen test where your blood is tested for HbsAg,anti Hbs,anti Hbc and anti HCV. These tests will prove whether you have the infection or not. Accordingly your doctor may ask for some associated tests.

Food contaminated with infected blood isnt likely to cause Hepatitis B or C.

Once you are out of the window period calculated from approx time of exposure then the test results at 3 months should be accurate for that particular exposure alone.

Meanwhile if you are a risk,then prevention is the key.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
doctor if i donate my blood in a hospital .....at that time it can also prove that i m not infected to hiv ,hepatitics b and c...???????
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 minutes later
Well, after a blood donation that sample of blood is tested for several diseases including hiv and hepatitis. But the results are not shared with you. They are tested later after storing the sample.

Hence Its advisable to be tested individually at any centre.

Hope I answered your question.