Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

What tests are required for proper diagnosis of prostate infection ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
My sperm is clumpy, not as big, and nolonger white. I also have occasional pain urinating. I am 57, I know my prostate is not to happy, lower testosterone, etc. The color is light yellow XXXXXXX Reading up it looks like a prostate infection. Seminal vesicles inflamed? A girlfriend is prone to yeast infections. I think my artificial vagina absorbs and can retransmit bacteria, no matter how clean it is kept. I am throwing it away. They are very absorbant. Also using hand lotion may not be sterile enough with a silicone vagina. I have just taken azithromicin for the last 24 hours. It enlarged my prostate, in that urination was slow. I think I have a prostate infection. What tests do I need for proper diagnosis.

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Its very common for one to have semen which is not completely white , which could be due to difference in the protein content of the same.

Yes, Infection could also be a chance where there is change in semen color and in you with dysuria, I agree with you that Prostatitis is the prime suspect here.

1)A digital rectal examination to elicit tenderness in the prostate.

2)Urine microscopy and culture to isolate bacteria.

3)Semen microscopy with pre and post Prostatic massage looking for white blood cells and bacteria, signifying infection.

4)PSA ( Prostate Specific Antigen )which is used as a long standing prostate infections.

The above tests will help in diagnosing the Prostatitis , do go for the same.

Well you can continue on Azithromycin as some of the bacteria known to cause the prostatitis are sensitive to azithromycin.It would be always better if suitable and sensitive antibiotics are started after a culture and sensitivity test on urine.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor