What surgical options are available for urethral stricture?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Men's Health
Question: Hello, I am looking for a urologist to answer a question. Would urethral stenosis attributed to an allergic reaction be treated with surgery? thank you.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urethral Calibration is the best option .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have difficulty in passing urine due to what is called as urethral stenosis .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Are you in menopause ?
2) Do you have urinary symptoms lke frequency ,urgency .repeated episodes of UTI .

Conventional tratment for urethral stenosis is to incise the strictured segment which is routinely done in males ,

However in female this can not be due to facts that the length of the urethra is too short and near proximity of urethral sphincter any attempt to incise it results in to loss of urinary control (Incontinence).

The best option of treatment is to do endoscopic Calibration of urethra and maintain this widened urethral lumen by doing self dilatation by a small ,handy urethral dilator once daily at home .

I have been practicing this for my patients of urethral stenosis since last 40 years and gives excellent results .

You can discuss this modality with your Urologist .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil