Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

147 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What surgical options are available for urethral stricture?

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 9943 Questions

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Men's Health
Question: Hello, I am looking for a urologist to answer a question. Would urethral stenosis attributed to an allergic reaction be treated with surgery? thank you.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urethral Calibration is the best option .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have difficulty in passing urine due to what is called as urethral stenosis .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Are you in menopause ?
2) Do you have urinary symptoms lke frequency ,urgency .repeated episodes of UTI .

Conventional tratment for urethral stenosis is to incise the strictured segment which is routinely done in males ,

However in female this can not be due to facts that the length of the urethra is too short and near proximity of urethral sphincter any attempt to incise it results in to loss of urinary control (Incontinence).

The best option of treatment is to do endoscopic Calibration of urethra and maintain this widened urethral lumen by doing self dilatation by a small ,handy urethral dilator once daily at home .

I have been practicing this for my patients of urethral stenosis since last 40 years and gives excellent results .

You can discuss this modality with your Urologist .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Urethral stenosis

doctor1 MD

I have diabetes and cholesterol . Gerd and ibs Now the main health issue is my urine gets blocked many times or if it comes very slowly. I have done kidney function test but it is normal. I have consulted urologist he told that it is meatal...

doctor1 MD

would a bag to empty the bladder empty to help utis in older women that have utis over and over again.

doctor1 MD

I m 58 and had what could be my 1st possible UTI. Well now I m scheduled for a cystoscopy . I ve read the flexible ones are no wider than a pencil and the rigid are bigger. My urethral opening is smaller than a pencil, how are they going to get...

doctor1 MD

I have been receiving implanted hormone replacement therapy since August of 2011. Approximately 3 months ago I began having difficulties with urinary hesitancy. I went to a urologist and was told my urethra is narrowing (urethral stenosis) and wonder if it has anything to do with bioidentical implanted HRT . The urologist also noted a grade 1 rectocele . HX: No prior history of diabetes but I do have metabolic syndrome and fatty liver disease along with insulin resistance and absorption issues. I go to a Hepatologist and endocrinologist as well.

doctor1 MD

i am monika suffring for urethral stenosis .nex 15 dayes i trited by my i am much better than first day of my tretment.what is the diet for me you sugest.i take medecine is tab axif200mg bd,tamflo0.4mgat bed time,looz at bed time,cap acovit M 1od.then what is my lifestyle & diet also.plsssss tell me.with regards.............monika.