Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

What surgery is done for gallbladder removal? Will there be any side effect?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 661 Questions
Hello Doctor,
My wife who is employed with XXXXXXX has 2 gallbladder stones with largest being 13mm.
I would like to know:
1. which hospital to be referred for getting it removed?
2. which kind of surgery will be taken place for this, will it be open ?
3. will there be any side effects of removing the gall bladder ?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 18 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You can go to any tertiary care hospital with good surgeon and facilities available especially laproscopic surgeon.

The surgery can be performed both open and laproscopically however the nowadays the laproscopic surgery is more preferred which i will recommend also.

The Gall bladder is meant for storage of bile and with its removal there aren't any significant side effects except than indigestion especially for high fat contents.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor