Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12685 Questions
Hi, i just had unprotected sex with a girl, only to go into her bathroom and find drugs for HIV infection and antiviral?? she said she got raped 3 weeks ago and the doctor gave her the drugs as a precaution. it was a 400mg drug to be taken every 8 hours which seems really strong to me as a precaution. im completely lost and scared I think shes lying, what should i do
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

If the girl was raped 3 weeks ago then the first thing she should have done was to get herself checked for HIV infection. If she tested negative then there is no reason to take an anti- HIV drug just to rule out any future problems.

Sometimes it happens that immediately the test comes negative and the complete situation becomes clear after six months of exposure when repeat test would confirm. The dose of 400mg is a routine dose of these anti viral drugs and cannot be called as too strong. But the prophylactic medicine is never started until there is a considerable reason to think that she might be infected.

I would suggest you to get a HIV rapid test done and to be confirmed after 6 months of exposure.
It would be better to see your physician and discuss with him the benefits of Post exposure prophylactic antiretroviral therapy and if advised then would recommend to start the therapy as early as possible atleast within 72 hours of exposure.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor