Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What should i do to get relief from acute pain in the crease of buttocks ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 126 Questions
I have been severely bothered by more than annoying pain in the crease of my buttocks. I have not fallen or had any type of injuries that may have resulted in the pain. I do know that this pain is getting worse and I believe it is affecting my right leg. Where do I start?
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

We have received your query.

But the information you have provided seems to insufficient. Kindly provide us with the following details, so that we can help you better.
1. Pain is the upper or lower crease of the buttock ?
2. How is it affecting your right leg - dull pain / weakness / pricking sensation etc
3. Pain is present only while walking or even at rest
4. Do you feel that pain is starting from the hip and going till the toe ?
5. Do you feel any numbness in any part of the leg ?
6. Do you feel your leg is warm, red etc
7. If you feel any other information that may help the doctor please include that too.

Once you reply with this details. Our specialist will answer your query at the earliest.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What should i do to get relief from acute pain in the crease of buttocks ? 39 minutes later
The pain is in the upper part of the crease of my buttocks but the pain seems to spread out to the width of my pelvis. The right leg seems to get weaker by the week with an accumulation of fluid acquiring around the knee. The right foot is extremely painful at the big toe and arch straddling to the outside of this foot. I am ready to have an MRI on this foot but I am sure this pain has to be stemming from my pain at the pelvis. Pain is present all the time with no matter how much rest I give it. The pain actually can be felt from my tailbone to the right side of my abdomen then to the hip down to the toe. There is a large part of the day I am on my feet, there is tingling in that right leg. Leg stays warm but not out of the ordinary but there is not any redness at all. I have been seeing a chiropractor for almost 3 years to eliminate the severe headaches that were not migraines. Neurologist and Chiropractor tells me I have had some sort of trauma in my life just do not know when it could have happened. Spine is out of line in the middle of my neck and at the shoulder blades that pinches a nerve on the right while my pelvis is rocked and tilted. I do know the more I see the chiropractor the more pain is felt throughout my body. Need help, I feel like an old lady way before my time.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 22 hours later

Thank you for your recent request for a specialist opinion from XXXXXXX

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon from our panel of specialist has gone through your query and opined as below. Kindly find his answer to your query below.

You can view his profile at this link:

Dr Tulasi Raman,



After going through you query I think you are probably suffering from a condition called IVDP (Intervertebral Disc Prolapse).

Normally there is a disc between two vertebral bodies which lies behind the spinal cord. In IVDP this disc herniates into the spinal canal compressing the spinal cord and its nerve roots. Depending upon the nerve roots affected you get the symptoms.

1. Chronic Low Backache increases on bending forwards
2. Pain radiating to one of the lower limbs till the toe (in your case right leg)
3. Weakness of great toe
4. Pain of lifting the affected leg from lying down position

Specific Investigation for IVDP:
1. X-ray Lumbar Spine ( AP & Lat view)
2. MRI Lumbar Spine


Initial treatment would be:
1. Pain killers (analgesics)
2. Physiotherapy (strengthening the back muscles)
After certain a period these measures would not relieve you of the pain because the disc have herniated till further and causing more symptoms.

Surgical Management:
This is done when the above methods offers no relief. In this surgery the disc that has herniated is removed thereby relieving the pressure on the roots. So the symptoms disappears.

So I suggest you to consult an Orthopedics Surgeon who will examine you and if required may advice you the surgery.

It has been a pleasure providing you with an answer which I hope has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What should i do to get relief from acute pain in the crease of buttocks ? 30 hours later
Thanks for the detailed information in this situation. Would the chiropractor treatments aggravate the pain of my lower back? Seems the more I go for treatments that the stiffer my lower body seems to get. Will this pain begin to work its way up the spine?
Once again thanks for the valuable information with this persistent problem.

Tina McMann
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 16 hours later

Thanks for following me up.

Actually the Chiropractic technique will help if the diagnosis I suspect is right, but the result depends much on the Chiropractor who performs on you.Try to consult other.

No , the pain will most of times be restricted to the parts supplied by the affected spine.It rarely spreads.

Hope I answered your query in detail.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor