Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

What should i do to cure Bartholin cyst ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 84 Questions
I was diagnosed with a Bartholin cyst about 25 years ago. I still have it and it is the size of a walnut. It has never bothered me. I am 50 years old. Should I have it biopsied or try Sitz baths to see if it will drain?
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 39 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

If there has been no change in the size of your cyst over the past 25 years, it is unlikely that a biopsy will be required. However, if the mass is hard, nodular or irregular in outline, it is advisable to consult your doctor. Your doctor will conduct a physical examination and may advise a biopsy if he/she feels it is necessary.

Do consult your doctor if:
You notice an increase in the size of the lump.
The lump becomes painful or tender.
You develop vaginal discharge or fever.
You experience difficulty in sitting or walking.

Sitz baths may help to drain the cyst. If the cyst does not resolve with this, you can opt for surgical drainage of the cyst under local anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor