question-icon

What should be the starting dose for Prozac in a patient with depression and symptoms of bipolar disorder ?

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018
Question: What should be the starting dose for Prozac in a patient with depression and symptoms of bipolar disorder ?
Answered by Dr. Soujanya (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Brief answer. It can be started with 20 or 40 mg

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and understand your concern towards your switching of medication from LEXAPRO to PROZAC because of no good results

I can say definitely say LEXAPRO is a good antidepressant but it may not work better for bipolar depression

I would suggest you start OLANZAPINE along with PROZAC which works very effectively for bipolar depression as this combination is known as symbaxa

So I would recommend you to discuss with your doctor about this combination drugs and start immediately, there is nothing to worry about suicidal side effect with this combination

Hope this information would help you
Feel free to ask any further questions
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist