question-icon

What should be the ideal weight when height is 5.5 feet?

Posted on Thu, 16 Oct 2014
Question: Hi - I'm a female age 30, diagnosed with hypothyroidism since last 8 years. Current medication- thyronorm 62.5 mg once daily in the morning.

I have successfully lost a lot of weight since nov 2013 (weight in nov- 77 kg; current weight - 59.5 kg). This was through exercise (weight training and cardio) and eating healthy nutritious food. My height is 5"5 inches.

There is a lot of confusing literature on the ideal weight for my height- what I wanted to know was that as doctors what level of weight would you be absolutely comfortable with for someone my height- we want to plan for pregnancy soon and I want to reach that most optimal weight level.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
you have weight in normal range.

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam
Ideal weight for the height of 5 feet 5 inches is between 50.4 kg to 66.4 kg. However if you are Asian in origin the upper limit is 61.1 kg. Because Asians have been recommended to keep a body mass index lower than non-asians. For them upper limit of body mass index is 23 as compared to 25 for non-asians for best cardiovascular benefits. Hence for all practical purposes you have weight in normal range.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist