Owl Image

What should be the best thing done if someone had a heart attack and collapsed?

Owl Image
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Question
If someone had a heart attack and collapsed what should happen?!
Could moving the patient cause added stress to the heart
Thu, 5 Jul 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Call the EMS immediately

Detailed Answer:
Hello

As per your query I would like to tell you that No it would not cause any stress to heart. Infact the patient should be placed on a hard flat surface.

Emergency medical services should be called right away. Then the bystander should check for the pulse of the patient. If there is no pulse and the patient is not breathing then CPR should be started immediately.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Follow-up: What should be the best thing done if someone had a heart attack and collapsed? 1 hour later
This happened to my dad and on his first attack he was unconscious - came round and was responsive and was encouraged to stand up and walk to a cooler area in his workplace - no ambulance was called at that point. Within 40 seconds of his being walked to another area he had another attack and was frothing at the mouth and lost conciousness - at this point no cpr was given as the first aided was apparently trying to clear his airways (for 7 minutes) - he consequently died! Could this have been avoided should he have not been moved

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Am Sorry to hear about your loss.

It was unfortunate that no one thought of calling emergency services during the first attack.

The second attack wasn't caused by just making him stand up and move around a bit. It was the body's self defence what made him come back to life by opening up the clogged heart blood vessels for sometime.

Whenever this happens there is always a high possibility of having another major attack if proper cardiac first aid doesn't happen.

Things would have been different if he would have recieved immediate medical help after first attack or first cardiac arrest.

I hope this information will guide you properly. May his soul rest in peace.

Dr Bhanu partap