What should be normal testosterone levels in men?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: At what level is a male at the age of 32 considered to have low testosterone. I have an extremely low sex drive and no energy. I am afraid that my wife is frustrated because of my sex drive change. I recently had my levels checked last week. The results came back and showed that my T level was as 355. Ive read that normal is considered between 290 and 1100. Thats a huge range and even read that the study is for 20 to 80 year olds. Please provide me with info. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please get evaluated in detail

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
At your age the normal testosterone levels should be around 600 ng/ dl and you do have a slightly lower than normal testosterone level for your age. At the same time you also need to get clinically evaluated for any suspected thyroid disorder (hypothyroidism) which can cause extreme fatigue and hence low energy similar to the problems you are currently facing.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 23 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX I was also tested for thyroid. It came back normal.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medications to be taken under medical supervision

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Your condition is not related to thyroid disorders. You need to discuss your slightly low testosterone and low energy, decreased sexual drive with an urologist or XXXXXXX Considering your young age, testosterone replacement may lead to decreased fertility. Therefore you may be given a medication like clomiphene citrate (clomid) as a good option to increase testosterone levels. This must be taken under supervision of your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 6 minutes later
Heres my levels from last week. Thanks for your help. Let me know what you think about the levels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your levels are below normal for age

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I have seen through your report. The total testosterone is in the normal range for an 80 year old and the free testosterone is as found in a 65 years old male. You dont have to get worried as the levels can be brought back to normal by taking treatment and adapting to a healthy living style.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek