Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What should be done to treat headaches and dizziness?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10222 Questions
My grandson has headaches and dizziness since August. MRI was clear, was recommended he see an audiologist, but so far has been unable to get appointment. What should he do?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: vestibular retraining may help Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Dizziness and headache are common symptoms and they can very distressing to the individual. It can be related to central or peripheral causes. Central means it is related to the brain or spinal cord, this is not common and the MRI would have shown if there were any concerns with the brain. Peripheral causes are more common and the most common peripheral causes are related to the inner ear where balance is controlled. These peripheral conditions are : meniere's disease, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and vestibular neuronitis. Treatment consists of (1) temporary use of medication ( medication is not used for too long because it prevents the body from repairing itself), (2)vestibular rehabilitation exercises (these exercises retrain the balance systems in the body) These exercise based program are helpful to help with inner ear problems such as dizziness. Other forms of balance training such as tai chi can be used , as long as they are incorporated into the general vestibular training program. This may be helpful for him while he waits for his test..His doctor should be able to refer him to a center that teach these exercises, after they are taught,t hey can be done at home. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor